Terrarium

Day 1-15: The Concepts

We carved out the first two weeks to focus on concept ideation, pencil sketching, and to develop prototypes of the core idea in Unity. We want to keep focused on building concepts that are feasible to launch within our established time frame, but its really beneficial to dedicate some time to exploration. So we are taking these early weeks to go wide— to stretch the idea of sitting as a core mechanic into something fun, maybe something unexpected.

Working within some set parameters and stretching to generate a lot of ideas is when creativity shows up. We also know sometimes you just have to get out all the ideas to know which ones are the good ones and which ones aren’t. Admittedly, we probably could have done more work exploring concepts. We really wanted to come out of this session with a few prototypes to share and discuss.

So, we set out to regroup with three prototypes each, six in total. So, each of us took these  couple weeks to work through our ideas and start building something we could play with. We determined Each concept should contain these components: interaction, progression, and a goal, while the prototype could explore some aspect of those components.

The Concepts

Here are the concepts/prototypes we came up with:

[] [] [] [] [] []

I’m not going to go into details of all the ideas here (maybe these will turn into another game someday!), but this allowed us to consider a few more ways that this mechanic could work for us. Our prototypes each represented varying levels of ‘completeness’. Meaning, some were playable, others were proof of concept (and others nonexistent). When prototyping, it’s easy to get wrapped into just adding ‘one more thing’. Again. And Again. And Again. It’s really helpful to step back, get some distance, and reevaluate. Looking back, we should have set some parameters for minimum required elements, left it at that, and moved on to the next concept.

In the end, we gravitated to a few concepts that seemed within reach based on our capabilities and timeline. Then we swapped our project folders. The next session was focused on exploring and pushing each other’s concepts.